Accelerators and the target Constructs

Forum for the public review of the OpenMP 4.0 API Release Candidates. (Read Only)
Forum rules
This forum is now closed.

Accelerators and the target Constructs

Postby PGK » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 am

I have a few thoughts and questions regarding the very interesting inclusion of accelerators within the second OpenMP 4.0 Public Release Candidate. First of all, I was surprised that there is no reference to the word "accelerator" in the document. I searched for that word due to the title of the earlier TR1; though I see the body of the TR1 also avoids the term. I nevertheless would have appreciated a flagged entry point for such a major new addition in OpenMP. I feel that a schematic diagram of a prototypical accelerator might also be needed. Examples too would be extremely valuable.

I understand OpenMP 4.0 must target a broad range of accelerators, but I should first say that I will most likely be working with (and thinking here of) GPUs.

The following C++ code shows a loop parallelised across a default accelerator device; say a GPU. I've kept the parallel and for constructs separate here for clarity (though I wonder if a new combined construct could help reduce the verbosity).

Code: Select all
#pragma omp target map(a[:4096])
#pragma omp teams
#pragma omp distribute
#pragma omp parallel
#pragma omp for
for (int i = 0; i < 4096; ++i)
  a++;

My first question: Is the order of the parallel and distribute constructs significant? Is the position of the target construct significant?

If I don't use the "declare target" directive on a function which I then attempt to use within the scope of a target construct, should I receive an error, or might the implementation silently fall back to a host implementation?

Following on from the last question: if, say, a target device is not supported by the implementation, is there a way to tell that my target region did/will not run on the accelerator?

On page 46 of the RC2 it is stated for C/C++ "When the size of the array dimension is not known, the length must be specified explicitly." Would a C++11 std::array also be compatible here?

If I omit any use of the map clause, what will be the default map-type for variables referenced within a target region?

In Section 2.9.3 target update, there is reference to a "to" and "from" clauses. I can't find any reference to these clauses elsewhere. Shouldn't it be map that's used here?

Best Regards,
PGK

Return to OpenMP 4.0 Public Review Release Candidates