}

int main() {
int i = a value
#pragma omp parallel
{
    myfunc(i);
}

}

is there a problem with the parallel calls? My understanding is, that each thread creates new thread, so if omp_get_max_threads() returns 4, the OpenMP calls create 4x4=16 thread. Is this correct or is there any optimization?

Thanks

Phil
flashpixx

Re: parallel call within thread

Postby ftinetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

Well, this depends... check out the Spec regarding the so called "nesting of regions" and related functions and environment variables. I think that at least some implementation details are left to the compiler choice, so I think you should check your compiler too. Are you planning to oversubscribe your system?
ftinetti

Re: parallel call within thread

Postby flashpixx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks, no I wouldn't oversubscribe my system. It should be a general question to understand the parallel processing. If I check my code, there is max. one call (like the example) with depend parallel call. I try to parallize on the algorithm structure only, not within the helper structurs. I'm looking within the spec, is this correct, that I can "solve this nested regions" (I have taken a shot look to the spec, but I can enable/disable it with omp_set_nested)?
flashpixx

Return to Using OpenMP