Free-use OpenMP compiler for FreeBSD?

General OpenMP discussion

Free-use OpenMP compiler for FreeBSD?

Postby estrabd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am

This is for:

FreeBSD 9.0 Release - Dell Poweredge 1750; Dual 32-bit Xeon 3.06 GHz w/Hyper-threading

The base GCC in FreeBSD is now 4.2.1, which supports OpenMP 2.5, but they took gfortran out of base! This is frustrating.

Anyway, I really want to run the NASA NPBs on this system using the base-compiler, but I'm at the point of looking for reasonable alternatives. I don't want to have to install another GCC just to get this capability. I'd rather go with something else (go big or go home :)...

IFC 8.1 is in FreeBSD Ports (uses the Linux ABI compatibility layer), but I am not sure through what standards version it supports OpenMP.

Hope all is well && Thank you,
Brett
estrabd

Re: Free-use OpenMP compiler for FreeBSD?

Postby shivaram » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 am

You need to install lang/gcc46 port to get gfortran. gfortran supports openmp 3.0 and is a better option.
shivaram

Re: Free-use OpenMP compiler for FreeBSD?

Postby estrabd » Tue May 29, 2012 6:41 am

Thank you very much, this is what I ended up installing. I really wanted to use the base compiler (4.2.1), but it doesn't provide gfortran. My reason was that it was more important to me that I build what I was looking at on top of the 'base' compiler without a requirement of installing a version of gcc from Ports - which some could see as a burdensome step.

Thank you,
Brett
estrabd

Return to Using OpenMP