openmp-3.0 compilers

General OpenMP discussion

openmp-3.0 compilers

Postby kcleung » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:59 am

I am planning for a benchmarking project and I must decide which parallel systems to be included. At this stage are there any openmp-3.0 compilers publicly available?

Currently is the gcc-4.4 snapshot really the only place to get openmp-3.0 compilers? I am a bit uncomfortable to use snapshots for my research project.......
kcleung

Re: openmp-3.0 compilers

Postby ejd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 am

Unfortunately it usually takes at least 3 to 6 months after a spec is approved before anyone has an implementation available. The problem is, that you never are sure until it has been approved whether or not something will change. This time there were quite a number of changes made from the time the spec went out for public comment to when it was approved - making it harder than usual.

The first implementation seems to be gcc 4.3. I believe that Intel will have a beta available soon. PGI seems to have announced some "proposed" OpenMP 3.0 support in release 7 of their compilers. Sun has said that they would provide at least some of the functionality later this year. Other than this public information, I am afraid that I can't help you.

When is your work suppose to start? What are you going to benchmark? What type of functions from OpenMP V3.0 do you need?
ejd

Postby kcleung » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:50 pm

I think I am supposed to start the openMP part of my benchmarking project in two months. The reason I want to benchmark (and learn) openMP 3.0 is that it is the newest (and has substantial changes from 2.5).

Is it true that gcc-4.3 already implements openMP 3.0? Does it really fully comply with openmp 3.0 standard? If this is the case, I don't have to use a gcc-4.4 snapshot then........

Thanks!
kcleung

Postby ejd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 pm

The following was posted to the gnu web site:
Code: Select all
News

June 6, 2008
    GCC 4.3.1 has been released.
June 6, 2008
    An implementation of the OpenMP v3.0 parallel programming interface for C, C++ and Fortran has been added. Code was contributed by Jakub Jelinek, Richard Henderson and Ulrich Drepper of Red Hat, Inc.

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with how they make annoucements, so I sent a request for clarification and here is the response I received:
Code: Select all
OpenMP V3.0 is only supported on GCC trunk (what will become gcc 4.4 next year) and the support is backported on redhat/gcc-4_3-branch (Fedora 10 compiler).  While anyone can easily either use redhat/gcc-4_3-branch or pick the OpenMP V3.0 backports from that branch to have OpenMP V3.0 supported even in gcc 4.3.x based compiler, it is a new feature, not a bug fix and therefore not appropriate for the stable upstream gcc-4_3-branch.

Hopefully that helps clarify the current situation.

As to whether or not gcc fully complies with the OpenMP V3.0 spec, there is no test suite that exists to tell. They believe that their implementation complies and we will find out as others implement the spec and users try the different versions.
ejd

Return to Using OpenMP