Best linux distribution with OpenMP for desktop computer

General OpenMP discussion

Best linux distribution with OpenMP for desktop computer

Postby marx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 am

Hello!

I want to install on my desktop computer a linux distribution with built-in OpenMP. I haven't got the strongest PC in the world ;) It`s only Intel Celeron 2.6 Mhz + 512 MB RAM. I just want to compile my simple programs written in C language, which have some OpenMP operations. What would you suggest me to install? Which distribution of linux would be best? I heard about OpenSUSE 10.3 with GCC 4.2 (OpenMP implemented), maybe this distribution would be the shortest way to solve my problem ? Which distribution you could recommend me ?

Thanks for any help.
With greets
MarX
marx

Re: Best linux distribution with OpenMP for desktop computer

Postby santana » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Umm, this might be a dumb question, but how many cores do you have? By the way I think that the answer to your question is "go with what you know" since the SMP part of linux resides in the kernel and as far as that goes they(distros) are all about the same on the kernel level. Several distros have a "server" install that works well for old hardware.
santana

Re: Best linux distribution with OpenMP for desktop computer

Postby marx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am

I try to compile OpenMP 1.6 sources under Fedora 8 (with gcc 4.1.1) today. They compile and install just fine. All the problem was the parametres of gcc. I didn`t know (yes, it`s a shame :oops: ) that I should compile programs using -fopenmp -lstdc++ parametres with gcc. Now when I compile sources with command line like that:

Code: Select all
$ gcc -fopenmp -lstdc++ test.c -o test

... everything is OK. :)

Thanks, and have a nice evening
MarX
marx

Return to Using OpenMP