prerequisites for using openmp

General OpenMP discussion

prerequisites for using openmp

Postby holosan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:01 pm

hello guys,

i am supposed to use openmp for research on different parallel computing technologies.
i found lot's of nice information and documentation on how to program in openmp. on the internet and in books. so far so good.

unfortunately i couldn't find any information about how to set up a running openmp environment; which prerequisites are to be met; which libraries are to be installed; which variables are to be set; which compilers to use;

at the research institute we have an 4x4-core computer runnning unter linux and i have to instruct our administrator what to install and to set up there...to enable myself to use openmp. so what to tell him? :-)
is there and guide or tutorial for setting up openMP? is there a list of prerequisites?

thank you!
holosan

Re: prerequisites for using openmp

Postby ejd » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:57 pm

The prerequisites depend on what compiler and runtime you are going to use. You say that you are going to be using Linux. Depending on what "flavor" of Linux you are using, that will limit some of your choices. You didn't say what type of processor (AMD, IBM, Intel, Sparc, etc), you are going to be running on. This will also limit some of your choices. You also didn't say whether you were looking for a free version or you could pay for a product. Again, depending on your answer, this will limit your choices.

If you go to the OpenMP ARB's web site (openmp.org) and look at the left upper side of the screen, you will see "What's Here". Under that is a selection "Compilers". If you click on it, it will give you some of the choices that are available.
ejd

Re: prerequisites for using openmp

Postby rudra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 pm

given that OpenMP depends on compiler directives (rather then libraries in other thread model, i.e. POSIX), you needn't install anything.
either your compiler support it or not....most of frontline compiler invoke it in compilation option(my personal fav. is gfortran ; which invokes openmp by the compiler option
Code: Select all
$gfortran -fopenmp <filename.f90>
)
rudra

Return to Using OpenMP