Question about OpenMP

General OpenMP discussion

Question about OpenMP

Postby Zeko2008 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 pm

i am totally new to this, and seems very good.
i have question, i use dev 4.9.9.2 version c++, OpenMP can work with more computers, or just one one computers using multicores processor?
And if OpenMp can work with more computers, how to i connect computers, and what i need to do, to one computer devide thread to others on network?

thx.
Zeko2008

Re: Question about OpenMP

Postby ejd » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:30 pm

The OpenMP specification is written with a shared memory architecture machine in mind. This can mean either mulitcore or multiprocessor. For distributed memory architectures (like a grid or cluster), most people have used MPI. That said, there has been work to allow OpenMP to be used on clusters. There have been several academic implementations of "cluster" OpenMP. The only commercial version of "cluster" OpenMP that I know of currently, is produced by Intel. You can find out more about it on Intel's web site. While there has been some discussion about extending OpenMP to clusters, it is currently not part of the formal OpenMP specification.
ejd

Postby Zeko2008 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:40 pm

ok then, i use c++,
Open Mp benefit is what?
To compile and do job faster on one computer?
I use win xp and c++, i openMp supported for win xp?
And how to i find lib for xp and c++?
thx
Zeko2008

Postby ejd » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Yes - the benefit is that you can use multiple cores or processors on one task. Depending on how much work is being done, this could theoretically cut your execution time in half on a two-core (or processor) machine. There are of course, a lot of caveats to this statement. Parallel programming is not easy. OpenMP was designed to give you some amount of speedup with relatively little work. That does not mean that you will get the theoretical maximum without a great deal of work.

You mentioned that you are using dev 4.9.9.2 Version of C++. Unfortunately, I have no idea who's product that is. There are versions of various products that support Windows XP - including Microsoft's Visual C++ and Visual Studio, Intel, and gnu (to mention just a couple). You can check the OpenMP ARB's web site for a more complete list of vendor's supporting OpenMP and look at their web sites to get more information on what OS's they support and the prerequisites.
ejd

Postby Zeko2008 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:28 pm

gread, i comprehend now.
thx you for this intel.
Zeko2008

Postby Zeko2008 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 am

I have theme for homework about MP, and benefits from OpenMP.
Can someone give me advice, how to i meassure bennefits of OpenMP program on multicore proccessor, and what is best OpenMP program for that?
Give me some advice, thx.
Zeko2008

Return to Using OpenMP