A paper for those new to parallel programming and OpenMP

Use this forum to discuss the book: Using OpenMP - Portable Shared Memory Parallel Programming, by Barbara Chapman, Gabriele Jost and Ruud van der Pas Read the viewtopic.php?f=8&t=465 for book info and to download the examples. Post your feedback about the book and examples to this forum

A paper for those new to parallel programming and OpenMP

Postby ruud » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 am

I've been a little hesitant to mention this technical white paper on this forum, but since I see so many postings from people that are new to parallel programming, I thought I'll bring it under the attention.

With 87 pages, this is a very extensive paper. I wrote it with those interested in parallel programming (but new to this topic) in mind. I know how overwhelming this can be. Also, in case you post a question on the forum here, those responding may assume you're familiar with the basic concepts, but that may not be the case. If that is your situation, this paper may come to the rescue since it covers the basics you'll need to learn more about before getting started.

In addition to covering the basic concepts, both OpenMP as well as MPI are introduced by way of an example. It ends with a hybrid example, combining MPI and OpenMP. This part of the paper is meant to get you started writing your first parallel program, but the coverage here is by no stretch of the imagination a complete overview of those paradigms. For that, there are books ;)

One word of warning, the title may be a little misleading. You might think this is a promotional paper about the Oracle Solaris Studio compilers, but that is not the case. Obviously I needed a compiler with OpenMP support to show the examples, but there is actually much less coverage of these compilers than the title suggests.

If you're interested, you can get your copy here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/parallel-programming-oracle-develop-149971.pdf

As always, I welcome feedback.

Ruud
ruud

Return to Using OpenMP - The Book and Examples