OpenMP 4.0 Release Candidate Available

Forum for the public review of the OpenMP 4.0 API Release Candidates. (Read Only)
Forum rules
This forum is now closed.

OpenMP 4.0 Release Candidate Available

Postby rchrd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:22 pm

The OpenMP 4.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available for public discussion on this forum.

http://openmp.org/wp/openmp-specifications/

Also note this Birds of a Feather session at Supercomputing 2012:
Tuesday, Nov 13th, 5:30 - 7:00pm [Room 355-A]
Birds of a Feather: “OpenMP: Next Release and Beyond” – Barbara M. Chapman, Bronis R. de Supinski, Matthijs van Waveren
We will present and release a comment draft of the next specification version, which includes several significant enhancements, and we will discuss plans for the continued evolution of OpenMP. A lively panel discussion will critique the draft. We will solicit audience opinions on what features are most needed for future specifications. http://sc12.supercomputing.org/schedule/event_detail.php?evid=bof112.
Richard Friedman rchrd -at- rchrd -dot- com
openmp.org webmaster
rchrd

Re: OpenMP 4.0 Release Candidate Available

Postby ftinetti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 am

Hi,

Is there a (quick) way to see the chages wrt version 3.1? I've seen the text
This is a public draft release candidate, based on version 3.1, incorporating
the following internal change tickets:
71, 77, 90, 88, 111, 125, 126, 136, 137, 138, 144, 146, 147,
148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 154, 155, 156, 157, 164, 166, 168,
169, 170, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176

but I'm not able to relate those to the actual text (I don't know the so called "change tickets").

Thanks in advance,

Fernando.
ftinetti

Postby ejd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 am

Up to now, the change tickets have been for internal use only and have not been publicly released. In theory, Appendix F should contain a summary of the changes that have been made for each release. At this point, I am not sure that it is correct or not, because I am just starting to review the document as well. During the process of updating the document, internal releases contain change bars showing what has been changed. In the final version, these change bars are removed.

That said, unfortunately at this time, I know of no easy way for an individual outside the committee to easily see the changes. If you have a suggestion as to how you would like to see the information about the changes, I am sure that the committee would be happy to consider it.
ejd

Postby ftinetti » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:05 am

Hi ejd,

In theory, Appendix F should contain a summary of the changes that have been made for each release.

Right, I forgot to see Appendix F, thanks for the remainder.

If you have a suggestion as to how you would like to see the information about the changes, I am sure that the committee would be happy to consider it.

Hmmm... maybe the "change bars" are very good to see specific changes beyond those explained/referred to in Appendix F.

Fernando.
ftinetti

Postby rchrd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:01 am

Change bars are hard to keep accurate. Also, we went thru many internal editions of this draft and the change bars got quite confusing. So we had to remove them for the RC1 because they were no longer accurate.

I would rather like to see a more detailed section F.1 indicating which sections in the document are new and updated for each new feature. The list of "tickets" is for internal accounting but a summary could be provided. We'll look into this for RC2 and the final release.
Richard Friedman rchrd -at- rchrd -dot- com
openmp.org webmaster
rchrd

Return to OpenMP 4.0 Public Review Release Candidates